Who: 18 to 29 years
When: 1 to 5 February 2019
Closing date: Friday 21 December 2018
Join VICTA in an environmentally friendly trip to Bristol. We will be supporting the Bristol Harbour Office to clean up the harbour and volunteering at Windmill Hill City Farm whilst finding time to enjoy Bristol’s attractions.
Arriving on the evening of Friday 1 February, we will have a welcome get-together dinner. The weekend will then include visits to some of Bristol’s cultural hotspots including Spike Island and the Bristol Museum & Art Gallery. We will also check out the Bristol Zoo and Gardens with a special animal encounter.
We will finish the trip with a full day volunteering at Windmill Hill City Farm on Monday, before enjoying a final evening together and then heading home on the morning of Tuesday 5 February.
All participants are expected to make their own travel arrangements to and from the meeting points at the start and end of the trip. Accommodation, activities during the trip and breakfast are included. Spending money will be required for lunch, dinner and any snacks or drinks.
This activity is an opportunity to make a difference to a community, whilst gaining new skills and experiences which will help towards future employability and applications into further education. Your chance to give back will be combined with other fun activities and the whole experience will be completed as a team with the other people your own age. You can share experiences, pull together and achieve something new!
- Opportunity to volunteer on a community project (inner city farm)
- Take part in an environmentally friendly initiative (helping to clean Bristol harbour)
- A great opportunity to meet other visually impaired people your age
- Grow in confidence through semi-independent travel
- Increase your mobility and independence skills
- Gain all of this while having a fun trip in a supportive, encouraging environment
Who can apply?
You must be:
- Blind or partially sighted
- At least 18 years old on 1 February 2019
- Aged 29 or under on 5 February 2019
- Willing and physically able to take part in a harbour clean-up and volunteering on an inner city farm
- Able to maintain your own personal hygiene
- Able to independently take medication (if applicable)