Who: 14 to 17 years
When: Thursday 21 February 2019
Location: The Tramshed, Greenwich and Lewisham Young People’s Theatre, SE18 6ES
Closing date: 21 December 2018
VICTA is teaming up with Extant, Britain’s leading professional performing arts company of visually impaired people, to provide a workshop day for 14-17 year olds during the February half term.
Interested in a career in the performing arts? Or just looking for something different to do in your half term? Extant’s workshops will give you an insight into the industry as well as help develop your creative skills with like-minded young people.
Taking place at Greenwich and Lewisham Young People’s Theatre, Extant will create a tailor-made day for VICTA participants based on their workshop choices. When you register your interest, please indicate which workshops you would be interested in:
- Comedy workshops
- Story telling
- Physical theatre
- Podcasting/Youtube (how to create your own content from using personal technology)
Richard Wheatley who has attended both VICTA and Extant workshops and is now finding success as a comedian, having recently performed at the Edinburgh Festival, said of the benefits of performing:
“When I am on stage I know that I have control, no need to catch someone’s eye or shout to make myself heard. The only things I have to react to are the laughs of the people focusing on me, people who are reacting to me, a loop that starts with my antics and feeds back to me what I should do next.
People often say that performing comedy takes courage, and I’ll admit that before a gig I am usually nervous, but once I’m on stage it’s just like a conversation with friends. I’ve always enjoyed jokes and comedy, so it’s exactly how I communicate anyway”.
This is a fantastic opportunity to dive into the world of performing arts, whatever your preferred discipline and find out where it takes you!
Participants will need to make their own way to the venue at their own cost and provide their own lunch.
- A great opportunity to meet other visually impaired young people
- Grow in confidence through public speaking and performing
- Develop new and existing skills in performing arts
- Experience a taster of the performing arts industry and potential career opportunities e.g vlogging, podcasting, comedy or dance
- Increase your mobility and independence skills
- Gain all of this while having a fun day in a supportive, encouraging environment
Who can apply?
You must be:
- Registered or registrable blind or partially sighted
- At least 14 on 21 February 2019
- Aged 17 or under on 21 February 2019
- Willing and physically able to take part in performing and physical theatre
- Able to maintain your own personal hygiene
- Able to independently take medication (if applicable)
To apply for a place on this activity, please complete the online application form below.
Participants must ALSO complete and return a parent consent form to firstname.lastname@example.org.