Date: 3 to 10 May 2019
Location: New Quay, Ceredigion, Wales (Nearest Train Station is Aberystwyth)
Age: 18 to 29 years
Closing Date: Friday 22 February 2019
Join VICTA to earn your John Muir Discovery Award, as we team up once more with the Welsh Wildlife Trust.
Working with the WWT at their Marine Wildlife Centre in New Quay, we will take part in an array of great environmental projects; such as beach combing, whale watching, as well as dolphin and seal counts together with the volunteers at the Marine Wildlife Centre. Evenings will be spent exploring the local area and dining out with the possibility of a beach BBQ on one evening.
At the end of the trip, we have arranged a boat tour into Cardigan Bay, an area famed for its large concentration of bottlenose dolphins, allowing us to get up close and witness their habits inside this area of scientific interest.
Following the end of the award, we will send out your award in the post, confirming your participation in the John Muir Discovery Award.
All volunteers are expected to make their own travel arrangements to and from the meeting points at the start and end of the trip. Accommodation, activities during the trip, breakfast are included.
- Earn your John Muir Discovery Award which can be added onto your CV
- Take part in a range of diverse conservation and environmental projects
- A great opportunity to meet other visually impaired people your age
- Grow in confidence through semi-independent travel
- Increase your mobility and independence skills
- Gain all of this while having a fun trip in a supportive, encouraging environment
Who can apply?
You must be:
- Registered or registrable blind or partially sighted
- At least 18 years old on 3 May 2019
- Aged 29 or under on 10 May 2019
- Willing and physically able to undertake in tasks that will lead you towards obtaining the John Muir Discovery Award
- Able to maintain your own personal hygiene
- Able to independently take medication (if applicable)
- Those who have not already completed their John Muir Discovery Award