Sorry, this activity has now closed for applications.
VICTA is heading to the ‘Land of the Rising Sun’ for the 16th Summer Paralympic Games.
Staying in an apartment in the Shinjuku district of Tokyo, you will be at the centre of one of the world’s most anticipated international sporting competitions. As well as taking in live sports action, you will also experience fan and spectator events in and around the city.
This trip will also connect you with Japanese young adults from the University of Tsukuba. In the months before we depart, you will be able to network with the students. This will be a great opportunity to make connections, exchange ideas and experiences, ask questions and get an insight into Japanese culture before visiting as well as continue these links long after we have returned.
We will spend a couple of days in Tsukuba where you will find out more about the work of the university. It currently focusses on the fields of industrial technology, health science and accessible communication for hearing impaired (HI) and visually impaired (VI) people.
The itinerary will also take in typical and traditional Tokyo and Japanese highlights including Mount Fuji (the highest volcano in Japan), Tsukiji fish market (the world’s largest wholesale fish and seafood market) and a traditional tea ceremony.
There is so much to visit and do in Tokyo that the itinerary will have built-in regular free time slots, with suggestions of hidden gems and popular tourist attractions suitable for all budgets will be sent to you prior to travel.
VICTA will make all participants aware of vital, useful and interesting information in the months leading up to the trip including any events in the UK that may be of interest e.g London’s recent ‘Japan Week’.
Upon return to the UK, VICTA will support participants to continue networking with the Japanese students and the university as well as pursue a sport/activity inspired by the trip.
- Payment Plan 1 (standard payment plan): non refundable £400 deposit Oct 31st to secure the flights, then £200 each month for 8 months until June 30th
- Payment Plan 2 (to support your saving for the trip): non refundable £400 deposit Oct 31st to secure the flights, then £200 each month plus an extra £50 each month for 8 months, totalling £400, to June 30th. The £400 will be released back to you before the trip to go towards your spending money on meals and souvenirs
- Payment Plan 3: if Plan 1 or 2 do not work for you, contact VICTA to organise an alternative. Please note a £400 deposit is required to secure the flights.
- Be at the heart of a city that is at the centre of the world’s attention
- Exchange with Japanese young adults before, during and after the trip
- Develop a passion for a new sport or activity to continue when you return
- Grow in confidence
- Increase your mobility and independence skills
- Gain all of this whilst in a supportive, encouraging environment
Who can apply?
You must be:
- Registered or registrable blind or partially sighted
- Have already participated on a VICTA UK trip
- At least 18 years old on 25 August 2020
- Aged 29 or under on 4 September 2020
- Able to maintain your own personal hygiene
- Able to independently take medication (if applicable)