Sorry, this activity is now closed.
VICTA is partnering with the Jubilee Sailing Trust (JST) to give five adventurous souls the chance to embark a voyage of a lifetime! JST are the operators of the only two fully accessible tall ships in the world (STS Lord Nelson and SV Tenacious), on which we are delivering a sail training voyage for blind and partially sighted adults, aged 18 to 29 years. Being on board one of these remarkable ships will be a phenomenal experience designed to help build the confidence and resilience of those joining its crew.
By joining the voyage you will become a full, working part of the ship, meaning there is much to be gained personally by taking on the challenge. Team work and inclusion will be key, with the Jubilee Sailing Trust’s highly qualified merchant seafarers on-hand to oversea operations, but taking a back seat to allow you and our volunteers to truly take the helm.
The programme aims to show that with the right support and adaptations anything can be achieved (even climbing that 30 metre mast!) and to empower participants for future challenges.
VICTA is subsiding this trip for our participants but you will need to raise the remaining amount of £900 to participate. We would encourage you to fundraise to support the cost of this voyage. Our dedicated and experienced fundraising team will be on-hand to offer fundraising ideas and materials. We are advertising this opportunity early to give you the chance to raise the funds to reach your target. Five volunteers will also be fundraising for themselves from our corporate sponsors Highfield, in order to provide a one to one level of support on-board.
Who are The Jubilee Sailing Trust?
The Jubilee Sailing Trust (JST) is a UNaccredited, UK registered charity whose mission is to promote the integration of people of all physical abilities through the challenge and adventure of sailing tall ships on the open sea. The JST promotes and delivers social integration, teamwork, personal and leadership development, critical thinking, physical adventure, and sail training skills. Find out more about the trust here >
Your voyage will depart from the picturesque port town of Oban, the Gateway to the Scottish Isles. You will then spend six nights at sea navigating the spectacular coast against the backdrop of the beautiful Hebridean Isles.
You don’t need any sailing experience to take part as you will acquire all the skills you need during the programme, and importantly gain skills and experiences that reach beyond sailing.
- A great opportunity to meet other visually impaired people your age
- Grow in confidence through semi-independent travel
- Increase your mobility, general fitness and independence skills
- Increased leadership, teamwork, organisation and communication skills by helping keep your boat in “shipshape” condition alongside your crew mates
- Gain all of this while having a fun week in a supportive, encouraging environment
- Opportunity to do some creative writing after the trip, which could then be featured on the VICTA website
- Gain an experience of fundraising, with tailored support from the VICTA Fundraising team
- Chance to create lasting memories as well as a unique talking point for your CV and interviews
Who can apply?
You must be:
- Blind or partially sighted
- At least 18 years old 17th June 2019
- Aged 29 or under on 23rd June 2019
- This is a physically demanding trip so you must be willing and physically able to take part the running of a tall ship
- Able to maintain your own personal hygiene
- Have attended a previous UK based VICTA activity