Thank you for your interest, we now have enough volunteers for this activity.
Staying in an apartment in the Shinjuku district of Tokyo, you will be at the centre of one of the world’s most anticipated international sporting competitions. As well as taking in live sports action, you will also experience fan and spectator events in and around the city.
The itinerary will take in typical and traditional Tokyo and Japanese highlights including Mount Fuji (the highest volcano in Japan), Tsukiji fish market (the world’s largest wholesale fish and seafood market) and a traditional tea ceremony.
As there is so much to discover, a typical day will include a structured group activity and then built-in free time for smaller break-away groups to go and explore. Volunteers will be expected to support both. Suggestions of hidden gems and popular tourist attractions suitable for all budgets will be sent prior to travel.
This trip will also connect our participants with Japanese young adults from the University of Tsukuba. We will spend a couple of days in Tsukuba where we will find out more about the work of the university. It currently focusses on the fields of industrial technology, health science and accessible communication for hearing impaired (HI) and visually impaired (VI) people.
VICTA will make all participants and volunteers aware of vital, useful and interesting information in the months leading up to the trip including any events in the UK that may be of interest e.g London’s recent ‘Japan Week’.
Due to the nature of the trip, we are asking successful volunteers to make a contribution of £1000.
- Payment Plan 1 (standard payment plan): non-refundable £200 deposit by 31 October 2019 to secure the flights, then £100 each month for 8 months until 30 June 2020.
- Payment Plan 2: if Plan 1 does not work for you, contact VICTA to organise an alternative. Please note a £200 deposit is required to secure the flights.
- Support visually impaired young adults discover and explore a new city
- Be at the heart of a city that is at the centre of the world’s attention
Who can apply?
- Have already volunteered on a VICTA UK trip
- Be at least 18 years old on 25 August 2020