Date: 9 to 12 April 2019
Venue: Meeting in Milton Keynes, transferring to Northamptonshire and then Wales (venues TBC)
Age: 18 to 29 years
VICTA is looking for young adults (18 to 29) to take part in our new and exciting white water canoeing trip. This unique opportunity has been set up with the Caldecotte Xperience, an activity centre in Milton Keynes. By taking part in the trip you will also be able to earn a British Canoeing Award in white water canoeing.
Arriving on Tuesday morning, we will begin with a meet and greet before being paired up with a volunteer. You will then be buddied with that volunteer during activities for the duration of the trip. During the first day in Milton Keynes you will learn the basics of paddling flat water. Day two will see us travel to Northamptonshire to learn the basics of white water paddling. Finally we will head to Wales for two days of white water river canoeing, before heading back to Milton Keynes.
This promises to be an exhilarating experience and the opportunity to learn a completely new skill while earning an award to showcase your achievements.
All participants are expected to make their own travel arrangements to and from the meeting points at the start and end of the trip.
- Opportunity earn a recognised canoeing qualification with the BCU
- A great opportunity to meet other visually impaired people your age
- Grow in confidence through semi-independent travel
- Increase your mobility and independence skills
- Gain all of this while having a fun trip in a supportive, encouraging environment
- Foster and develop leadership skills
- To accelerate new friendships
- To build positive interaction with each other
- To enhance own confidence and trust with other individuals
Who can apply?
You must be:
- Blind or partially sighted
- At least 18 years old on 9 April 2019
- Aged 29 or under on 12 April 2019
- Willing and physically able to take part each day in the canoeing
- Able to maintain your own personal hygiene
- Able to independently take medication (if applicable)