Who: 14 to 17 years
When: 15 to 19 April 2019
Location: UK Meeting place TBC, travelling to Ypres and surrounding areas in Belgium and France
Closing date: Friday 15 February 2019
VICTA is is hosting an educational international trip for 14 to 17 years during the Easter break. We will be embarking on a historical tour of World War I battlefields and areas of historical importance. We will initially travel to Ypres in Belgium exploring it’s sites of historical interest and then continue our exploration in France visiting important battle sites, monuments and museums.
This is a fantastic opportunity for students to experience this tour accessibly as we will be able to get up-close and hands-on with historical items. Visiting the area will help bring the history to life as we learn about various aspects of the war and the lasting effects it has had.
While in Ypes our group will also be granted the unique opportunity to take part in the ‘Last Post’ Ceremony and will be given the chance to lay a wreath at the Menin Gate.
This trip promises to be a thought provoking experience which will be of real interest for any young budding historians. It is also an opportunity for young people to experience travel with a group of people their own age, to socialise and to share experiences. Visiting the sites in person will leave our group with a lasting understanding of The Great War.
- Fits in with school curriculum
- Gain an understanding of historical events and their impact
- A great opportunity to meet other visually impaired young people
- Grow in confidence
- Increase your mobility and independence skills
- Opportunity at some semi-independent travel
- Gain all of this while having a fun weekend in a supportive, encouraging environment
Who can apply?
You must be:
- Registered or registrable blind or partially sighted
- At least 14 on 15 April 2019
- Aged 17 or under on 19 April 2019
- Able to maintain your own personal hygiene
- Able to independently take medication (if applicable)