VICTA support children and young people who are blind or partially sighted by providing equipment to aid their visual impairment.
RNIB Apple iPad Air 2 and Orbit Reader 20 Scheme
VICTA is currently working in partnership with RNIB on a product grant programme focussed on supporting independent study using technology. If you are registered blind or partially sighted and a UK resident you could be eligible for an Apple iPad Air 2 (32 GB) (age criteria 11-25 years) and/or an Orbit Reader 20 for Braille users (age criteria 8-25 years). Seen as complementary technologies, it is possible to apply for both provided you satisfy the age criteria.
For all other grant applications, please continue reading below.
VICTA grant guidelines
Applications will be considered for children and young people who are registered or are register-able blind or partially sighted up to and including the age of 29 years and who are permanent residents in the UK. All items supplied through our grant scheme are for home use only (not for school or college).
All applications are independently reviewed by our trustees and outcomes will be notified in writing. No outcomes will be given over the telephone.
Successful applicants will be asked for a contribution towards the grant. Please note iPads will always require a 50% contribution.
- Only one grant will be awarded to an applicant within a two year period
- iPads will only be considered for children over the age of 11 years
- Only one iPad will be supplied to any one applicant
- Computers and/or software will only be considered for children over the age of 8 years
- Computers will only be given once before the age of sixteen and once after, and there must be a 5 year gap between the grants
- A maximum of 2 laptops/desktop computers can be supplied to any one applicant.
- Braille Note takers will only be considered for children over the age of 11 years
- Only one Braille Note taker will be supplied to any one applicant
Please note, if applying for a laptop or desktop PC that VICTA will provide a standard minimum specification for these items, as follows:
- VICTA standard laptop: 15” Lenovo i5 8GB 256GB SSD or 14” HP i5 8GB 1TB, includes Microsoft office 2019
- VICTA standard desktop PC: Lenovo v530s i5 8GB 1TB, 22” monitor, keyboard and mouse, includes Microsoft office 2019
If you have a specific requirement, you will need to provide details of why you require the alternative model.
Items not covered under the VICTA grant scheme
- Mobile telephones
- Household white goods
- Building or garden maintenance
- Travel costs to and from school/college or hospital appointments
- Funding for respite care
- Funding for child care
- Family holidays
- Payment towards maintenance, insurance or extended warranties
- Equipment /software training
- Wheelchairs or other equipment which is not specifically to support the child’s/young person’s visual impairment
All grants are dependent on available funding.
We have recently updated our application process to make it even easier to apply for a Grant. You can download everything you need to apply by following the links below: