Date: 22 to 25 March 2019
Venue: Thorpe Woodlands Centre and Explore 4×4, Thetford
Age: 18 to 29 years
Closing Date: Friday 25 January 2019
VICTA is hosting its third driving break for young people aged 18 to 29 who are blind or partially sighted. Our base for the weekend will be the Thorpe Woodlands Adventure Centre, which has been a popular location with previous VICTA adventure weekends.
We will arrive at the adventure centre, which is hidden among the trees of Thetford Forest, on Friday afternoon when we will get to know each other and enjoy some social activities. On Saturday morning our group will head to ‘Explore 4×4’ for the driving experience. We will spend the day there and each participant will get a half hour driving spot, a chance to get behind the wheel of a 4×4 while in safe hands. The centre offer tailor-made courses for people with visual impairment, you can find out more about their experiences here: visit the Explore 4×4 web page >
On the Sunday we will spend the day at Thorpe Woodlands taking advantage of the fantastic activities they have on offer, such as the high ropes course, zip wire and abseiling.
All participants are expected to make their own travel arrangements to and from the meeting points at the start and end of the trip.
- A great opportunity to meet other visually impaired people your age
- Grow in confidence through challenging outdoor pursuits
- The chance to drive a 4×4, supported by drivers trained to teach visually impaired people
- Develop your teamwork and communication skills
- Increase your mobility and independence skills
- Gain all of this while having a fun weekend in a supportive, encouraging environment
Who can apply?
You must be:
- Blind or partially sighted
- At least 18 years old on 22 March 2019
- Aged 29 or under on 25 March 2019
- Able to maintain your own personal hygiene
- Able to independently take medication (if applicable)